The home of John Inglish, in Marion, served for Cole County's 1st court meeting. Three commissioners were appointed to supervise the construction of a courthouse built there in 1825 for $748. some County Court records were destroyed, however, a partial description within the record indicates a minimum of three rooms with brick floors, two outside doors, and Four closed windows.The courthouse sold in 1829 for $450.
In Jefferson City, the permanent county seat site, the court 1st occupied a log house owned by John Gordon. They took temporary quarters within the state capitol in February 1831, then rented the previous post office for $50 per annum until the courthouse, that was begun in 1836, was completed in 1838. An appropriation of between $4,000-$5,000 made in February 1836 provided funds for a building reported as fifty-four by fifty-four feet, with roof, Two stories, the foundation of stone, and the front wall of beat stone. The building was to be similar to the warden's house, an up to date account noted.
James Dunnica acted as 1st superintendent. He was later replaced by Henry Robinson. Builders were Thomas L. Ferguson and the acquiring firm of Griffith and Crump. The building faced west, forty feet from the road. The entrance hall was fifteen by twenty-five feet; to the left was the county clerk's workplace and vault. The court was at the rear of the first floor, and close to the entrance to the court was a spiral staircase. The second floor remained unfinished for years; it had been rented for special occasions before it was partitioned off into county offices. An 1885 Sanborn Map shows a 15-foot frame cupola, however, it's missing within the 1892 map. The building was condemned in 1891. However, voters defeated a proposition for a brand-new courthouse. In 1892 the jury reported it unsafe and dangerous. Finally, in 1895, voters approved a $60,000 bond certificate, providing the means for a brand-new courthouse.
After the state capitol burned in 1837, the Cole county courthouse provided space for the government. In spite of the historical significance of this courthouse, and the fact that it existed till 1896, illustrations are rare. The building was destroyed in 1896 and a part of the stone (locally referred to as “cotton rock” was utilized in the new courthouse. When Cole County prepared to create a brand-new courthouse in 1896, the court received twenty-two proposals; a news person for the Daily apse briefly described all entries. Two projected styles were modeled after the state capitol, placed only Two blocks away. One demanded a 130-foot duplicate of the capitol dome on an Indiana stone building with 32-foot stone columns supporting a 16-foot amphiprostylar entry.
After many days of harrowing deliberations, the court adopted the plans of local architects Frank B. Miller and A. W. Elsner, each state capital architects, enjoyed the standing of favorite sons. Elsner's plan showed a lot of huge proportions. Once contractors submitted bids on Miller's plan, they offered Two figures based on the utilization of either Warrensburg or Carthage stone. H. J. Wallau's bid of $47,750, using Carthage stone, was accepted in March 1896. Cornerstone ceremonies were held in July. The first story was of stone; the second story was of ironed gray brick with copper and stone trim. The tower rose 126 feet from the bottom and featured four dials for the clock and an observation platform. County offices were on the primary floor. The Circuit Court area, measuring forty-five by sixty-three feet, with a seating capacity of five hundred, was on the second floor. Total prices came to close to $60,000.
While vaults provided fire protection for records, nineteenth-century courthouses were typically destroyed or broken by fire. Finding ways of building fireproof courthouses was of increasing concern to county officers. Miller's courthouse plan for Cole County was bestowed as “practically fireproof” an apt, however unfortunate, description. The building suffered in-depth fire damage on March fourteen, 1918.
Once again, Miller acted as the designer of the repaired building. This courthouse has currently been placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Cole County Courthouse is located at 301 E High St, Jefferson City, MO 65101. Qualls Bail Bonds is approved to post Bail Bonds in Cole County. Call us for any Bail Bondsman Services
The Cole County Jail is Located at the Cole County Sheriff's Department at 350 E High St, Jefferson City, MO 65101. Defendant's arrested in Cole County are booked and detained here. Qualls Bail Bonds is available to post Bonds at the Jail 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Give us a call for a Bail Bondsman in Jefferson City, MO.