Gasconade city, Bartonville and Mount Sterling were early locations of Gasconade's county courthouse. Courts began meeting in Gasconade city, situated on the Gasconade stream, in 1821 and continuing meeting there till 1825, once flooding caused relocation. The second site, Bartonville, was conjointly settled on the Gasconade stream, in what later became Osage County. It, too, flooded, and therefore the county courthouse next moved to Mount Sterling in 1832.
Volume A of the County Court Record indicates that the court planned a one-story, 22-foot-square, hewn-log building; but Goodspeed's History of Franklin, Jefferson, Washington, Crawford and Gasconade Counties of 1886 describes a 20-by-24 foot, log, two-story building on a stone foundation, with a stone chimney and 2 fireplaces. The courtroom was on the primary floor. Joshua Cox narrowed the building for about $300.
After an election on March fourteen, 1842, the county courthouse moved to Hermann. The city purchased the courthouse, that was built in the middle of a block on East Front Street. This site, high on a bluff higher than the Missouri River, is one of few courthouse sites that takes advantage of a natural view. The square, two-story, brick building with roof price about $ 3,000. The County Court used this courthouse till 1896 after they ordered it demolished.
The present courthouse, a present to the county from Charles D. Eitzen, was built in 1896-98. Architects were J. B. Legg, St. Louis, and A. W. Elsner, Jefferson city, who originally given plans calling for a 143-by-88-foot building. The two-story courthouse had a finished basement and a dome that rose a hundred and twenty feet. Originally, the building was to be created of light-gray or medium-buff brick with matching earthenware trim. the main roof was to be dark Pennsylvania slate, the dome roofs of tin, painted a Venetian red. The rotunda and corridors were to be covered in Italian marble and mosaic.
In Feb 1897 the court required bids. Thirty contractors responded, however all bids for the Legg-Elsner style were too high. The architects then changed the plans, eliminating a number of the additional pricey specifications. Red brick with white stone trim was substituted for the grey or buff brick. once more the court required bids; The building contract was for $41,500 and completed in 1898. On the primary floor, offices open off an extended east-west hall; the 41-by-44-foot Circuit Court space is found in the West End of the second story. The dedication took place on May 25, 1898. fire damaged the building Feb. 3, 1905.
This courthouse is also compared with 2 similar courthouses Legg designed many years later: Mississippi County, additionally of red brick, and St. Charles County, done in grey stone
Qualls Bail Bonds provides Bail Bondsman Services in the Gasconade County, MO area. The Courthouse and Jail are located in Hermann, MO. Give us a call for all your Gasconade area Bonding needs.
First courts met in homes in Osage County, however, in August 1843 the County Court demanded bids on a courthouse. St. George Cretzinger, the superintendent, provided plans, and therefore the contract was awarded to builders from Jefferson City, William Young, and John Burch, in February 1844. price of the 30-by-38-foot, two-story brick building with a plain-gable roof was $3,420.79. There were 2 entrances to the building and fireplaces in each of the four rooms on the primary floor. A stone wall was engineered around the courthouse yard in 1854, and a fence was additional in 1860. The building was repaired in 1867.
In 1874, as construction on the new courthouse progressed, the previous courthouse was ordered sold. J. K. William Kidd bought it for $100. an illustration of this 1st courthouse was placed within the cornerstone of the 1872 building. once the 1872 building burned, the contents were placed within the cornerstone of this courthouse, engineered 1923-25. Osage County's initial courthouse was rumored to be a replica of the Maries county courthouse at Vienna, except the latter faced north and south, whereas the courthouse at Linn faced east and west.
The court requested that the second courthouse be engineered on the side of the square. Louis Trentmann, an immigrant from Hanover, Germany, conferred plans Aug. 9, 1872. The court requested the specifications of the offer by Aug. 26. The court demanded bids on the 61-by-81-foot building in Sept 1872 and appropriated $25,000. Trentmann, Narup, and Co., of Washington, Missouri, contracted the building. W. A. Weeks served as superintendent. Cornerstone ceremonies occurred in June 1873; the court inspected and received the finished building in July 1874. a fire on nov. 14, 1880, damaged the courthouse.
After the fire, plans for reconstruction were provided by architects Goesse and Rimmers of St. Louis. These men were Joseph B. Goesse and Frederick J. Rimmers, known in Gould's St. Louis Directory, 1880. H. H. Beinke, of Washington, contracted the reconstruction for about $13,000. The principal changes occurred within the higher level of the building, where a dome replaced the smaller square belfry on the previous building. The courthouse was completed and conferred to the court in Sept 1881. The court was considered one of the finest-furnished and best-planned courtrooms in Missouri. Fire destroyed the building of October. 30, 1922.
At a gathering held on January 1923, some voters thought it best to reconstruct, using the prevailing foundations and walls, as a result of precarious county finances. Offices were briefly placed in numerous locations throughout Linn. In Nov 1923 the court set to create a replacement courthouse. They accepted a concept from designer Henry H. Hohenschild and contracted with McCarthy Construction Co. for about $45,000 for the primary stage of the building. it's not reported whether or not a part of the foundation and walls were incorporated within the new building. 2 years later, in October 1925, the court received the new building total prices came to about $85,000. The red brick courthouse with white trim has 3 stories. The court is on the third floor; the jail was placed within the basement.
Qualls Bail Bonds provides Bondsman Services in Osage County. The Jail and Courthouse are located in Linn, MO. Give us a call for all your Bail Bondsman needs in the Osage County area
The first session of Moniteau County Court occurred in February. 27, 1845, a couple of miles north of the current seat. In May of the same year, Mr. and Mrs. A. T. Byler donated fifty acres in Boonesborough, AN early name for California, that was selected as the seat. The square was to contain one acre. In May 1846 the court ordered the sheriff to sell the old building on the general public square.
In Sep 1846 the court appropriated $2,500 for a two-story, brick courthouse with the stone foundation to be designed on a similar site. The building contained 2 little offices on the side, an oversized space on the north (apparently the courtroom), and one massive space on the second floor, which was chartered to a lodge in 1852. Albert Francis Charles Augustus Emmanuel Byler contracted the building of the 50-by-70-foot courthouse for $2,176.85. In April 1867, because the court prepared to build a second courthouse, they ordered the building sold to the best bidder. H. C. Finke bought it for $550 and removed it.
The court created order on Jan 1867 for a replacement courthouse. William Vogt was appointed to oversee construction, which the court calculable to cost about $45,000-$50,000. a replacement site was briefly thought-about, however, on February 1867 the court selected the location of the previous courthouse. The commissioners received bids for the construction of a 54-by-89-foot building in March 1867.
The Illinois firm of underwood and conn submitted a bid of $40,433.75, which the court accepted in April 1867. Contractors completed construction in February 1868. Seven rooms were on the primary floor; double stairs leading to the 54-by-54-foot room on the second floor were later reduced to 1 stairway by enclosure the well on the east.
In 1905 O. E. Spruce directed an in-depth reworking that included alteration of the roof, which had caused so much leaking. He increased the peak of the dome twenty feet, replastered the walls and additional a metal ceiling to the Circuit Court space. Minor repairs and alterations were created in 1934 beneath a federal Civil Works Administration project.
The sinuate porch style is comparable to the 1826 St. Louis county courthouse designed by Morton and Leveille. it's conjointly equivalent to the Missouri State Capitol, designed by A. author Hills in 1837, transformed in 1888. Moniteau County's courthouse is currently on the National Register of Historic Places.
Qualls Bail Bonds provides Bail Bond Services in Moniteau County, MO. The Courthouse and Jail are located in California, MO. Give us a call for any Bail Bond needs in the Moniteau County area.
At the March term of Circuit Court in 1819, the circuit judge appointed 3 commissioners to find and oversee the building of a courthouse and jail for Cooper County. Eight persons promised to present fifty acres if the county courthouse was settled in Boonville. At the Sep term in 1820, the commissioners reported they reserved places for the courthouse and jail on the fifty acres, and therefore, the remainder of the property would be surveyed into lots, streets, and alleys. Lots sold at public auction Sept. 2, 1820, brought $16,245. 25. On March 21, 1821, the commissioners awarded to the lowest bidder, William C. Porter (or Potter) and Willis Kempshall, for $9,699, the building of a brick courthouse regarding 40 feet square, with a stone foundation and 2 stories, one space below, 2 jury rooms above. Some alterations were created within the plan before the building was completed in 1823.
In 1831 a brick floor replaced the wood one on the primary floor, and extra work was done on the second-story gallery floor. In 1838, the courthouse was ordered as sold at public auction. Once the building was dismantled, a number of the brick was reportedly utilized in the subsequent courthouse. The $9,000 price would have been an excellent sum in 1821. The county used the courthouse for less than fifteen years before replacement it, by no means a typical lifespan for such a pricey building.
In may 1838 the County Court ordered some general public squares to be arranged off into lots and sold to boost funds to make a bigger courthouse. The positioning for the courthouse was preserved however reduced in size; it overlooked the stream and provided a superb view from the cupola. Specific directions for dividing the general public square were recorded within the County Court Record. A model and set up of the courthouse were filed with the county clerk. The court appropriated $10,800. Subsequent appropriations for the courthouse brought the total to about $30,000, again a high figure for the time. The court ordered the second story to stay unfinished until a later date and requested that the decorative work stay simple. The County Court received the building in the late summer of 1840. Jacob Wyan and Charles W. Johnson were the commissioners. Seltzer and McCullough were the contractors. This building served Cooper County till 1911, once commissioners who reported on the building declared it unfit.
It was sold to W. J. Cochran, the contractor for the 1912 courthouse, for $300 and razed in March 1912. Petitions to the court soliciting for a $100,000 bond certificate to finance a replacement courthouse resulted in an election in June 1911. The city of Boonville created a contribution of $15,000 toward construction. Plans of R. G. brandy for a three-story, 80-by-100-foot building were accepted, and the contract was given to W. J. Jacqueline Cochran of Boonville for about $95,000. Cornerstone ceremonies were conducted in the summer of 1912, and the building was received by the court on Sept. 15, 1913, the main facade of the building faces Fifth Street, which became the principal artery through the city.
Qualls Bail Bonds provides Bail Bondsman Services in Cooper County, MO. The Courthouse and Jail are located in Booneville, MO. Give us a call for Bail Bonding Services in the Cooper County area.